Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Seafood!

We ate some of the best seafood I have ever had.  Granted, it's never been my preferred food, so I can't say I've had much of it, but even Kevin raved about it.  And was proud of the fact that he had shrimp every single day we were there!
 
Our first night we went to Doc's.  I was a little concerned because the interior was a little run down, but it was the most amazing food!  Kevin got fried shrimp and I got grilled shrimp.  The batter on Kevin's shrimp was our favorite.
 

The other thing I liked was the "make your own cocktail sauce" at the table.  Kevin had never liked cocktail sauce and I have to have it.  This method started to convert him to my side!


The next day we went to DeSoto's for lunch.  We had been seeing all kinds of advertisement for the local favorite, "crab claws".  Kevin ordered it and wasn't overly impressed.  They were fine, but hard to eat and had lots of cartilage (?).  He was glad to try it, but wouldn't get them again.


I had a shrimp po' boy.  I really liked that all the restaurants had many sides to choose from and not just french fries.  I think we had coleslaw everywhere because it was so good, but we had a potatoe casserole here, too that was really tasty.  DeSoto's also had a basket of fresh, warm bread that was served as you waited.  YUM!

 
Our plan was to eat out once a day, but we ended up eating out again on Monday night.  This time we went to Bahama Bob's.  It was just a block down from our condo.



Kevin tried the royal red shrimp.  It is shrimp caught off the coast of Alabama.  They are a little bigger than regular shrimp and have a taste/texture that is a cross between shrimp and lobster.  It took some extra work to get the head and shell off, but they were worth it!  Boiled red potatoes was a common side dish and Kevin had those. 


I ordered the fried pecan striped pangus.  It came with this amazing orange marmalade-like dipping sauce.  This got two thumbs up from me!


Tuesday night we ate at The Steamer, an oyster bar.


Kevin had always heard that fresh raw oysters are better than any other raw oysters.  He likes them in stews, but has never liked them raw.  Before we got a whole platter, he asked our waitress if he could try one.  Sure enough, it was way too slimy for his taste.  We did want to get oysters, though, so we got the classic Oysters Rockefeller.  Delicious!


Kevin ordered a combo royal red and steamed shrimp platter and I got the Mahi sliders.  We shared both dishes...Camden even ate one of the sliders and loved it.


You can see the size difference between the two shrimp if you look closely.


 
The joke of the trip got to be how often Camden would order grilled cheese - like every meal! 
 


On the way back from Pensacola on Wednesday we stopped at the Shrimp Basket.  This, like a few of the other restaurants in Gulf Shores, is a small regional chain so since we wanted to try it, we stopped at this one for a late lunch/early dinner.

Shockingly, Camden ordered the kid's fish meal.  They also had broccoli (one of her favs) so it was nice to get something green for a change!



Kevin got the all you can eat fried shrimp and I had the coconut shrimp.  It had that yummy orange marmalade dipping sauce.  I also tried the steamed cabbage for a different side.  This meal was fantastic!


Kevin kept calling me a tourist everytime I whipped out my camera to take pictures of our food.  It was pretty hilarious.  What can I say, we love our food!  I guess it did finally work because I didn't take any pictures of our food the rest of our time in Gulf Shores.  Well I guess it might be because we had some mediocore pizza and returned to Doc's for our favorite shrimp. 

Final note:  for our only breakfast out we went to Big O's Grille.  I had a pretty standard eggs/hashbrown breakfast, but Kevin had a shrimp and crab omelet.  We also split their famous (and huge) cinnamon roll. 

As far as food goes, Gulf Shores hit the spot!

No comments: