Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Good Cookin'

I feel like we haven't had a good home cooked meal in months.  We eat out a lot and when we do eat at home it's been stuff that can be easily prepared - pastas, frozen fish, venison burgers, etc.  I had some potatoes that were going to go bad if I didn't use them, so potato soup sounded like a good plan.  I found a simple recipe in the Crestview Church cookbook and put a pot on for Saturday night dinner.  Talk about hitting the spot! 


The picture is terrible (the lighting in my kitchen is horrible, and, well, it's a pot of soup).  Kevin made some grilled cheese sandwiches and...oh my what a meal!  This is definitely going on our menu often this fall/winter. 

I also had a white cake mix that I wanted to use up. While the soup was simmering, I mixed it up with some pineapple juice for the base of this upside down cake.

I used the Pioneer Woman's instructions on making it in a cast iron skillet.  I was worried I wouldn't get that good topping since I didn't have enough brown sugar, but I let the white sugar carmalize a bit in the pan before putting on the rings and it still turned out pretty...and absolutely delicious!

This meal (and the subsequent ones that followed with leftovers) was one of the best we'd had in a long while.  I need to cook/bake more often!


No comments: