Thursday, July 28, 2011

Birthday Treat

Cake balls have become one of my "go-to" desserts to take to functions.  Our favorite, to date, has been german chocolate with my mom's homemade frosting recipe.  The pecans and coconut inside each bite were DELISH!  I had always wanted to do cake pops, but thought they might be difficult to handle.  However, I knew this would be an easy treat for 2 & 3 year olds to eat (right size, no mess, no fuss for teachers), so I gave it a go.  I don't think I'll ever make cake balls again (if given the choice).  These were so much easier! 

Camden calls them "cake meatballs."  I used a chocolate cake mix and cream cheese frosting.  I was planning on dipping in pink or purple chocolate that I had leftover from ReeRee's graduation, but I didn't like how they were melting or the taste as well as plain chocolate bark.  I dipped half the balls in sprinkles and covered the other half with pink drizzle.



I took the above styrofoam container of pops for snack at school and put two pops in individual baggies for each child to take home as a treat. 

Of course, Camden had one for breakfast to test them out before taking them to school.  She approved!


1 comment:

carole said...

um-yummy! Someday I need to learn to make these-they get more impressive every time you make them!