Thursday, July 2, 2009

Day Seven - Philadelphia

It had to happen...I dropped the camera while leaving the golf tournament. Last vacation I did the same thing. We got into downtown Philly this morning and the camera lens wouldn't open. So....no pictures of our morning excursion today! Actually, Austin had his Papaw's film camera, so we do have some...they are just getting developed and will have to be added later!

Our first stop was Franklin Court which is the location of Ben Franklin's home and print shop. They have excavated and unearthed some of the parts of the house, so you can see remnants of the kitchen and the privvy. There is an underground museum beneath it that contains many of Franklin's original inventions and family portraits. Also on site is a re-creation of his print shop, where a few re-enactors show how he would have pressed Poor Richard's Almanac. The first post office is also on this block...and it still is a fully-functioning location.

We drove by Betsy Ross's home and important churches and cemetaries. After futile attempts to find a store to fix the camera, we made our way to Reading Terminal Market for lunch. This was one of my favorite Saturday morning or afternoon destinations when I lived in the area. It's the largest indoor fresh food market - booths of fresh fish, produce, bakery items, ice cream, international food, etc. The Amish from nearby Lancaster have a huge booth, but they are only there on Wednesday - Saturday, so we didn't get to buy any of their famous treats - drats!

We walked back to the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. There were no more tickets for the tour that day, so since we couldn't go inside, we spent a lot of time remembering the various sites Nicolas Cage found clues in the movie, "National Treasure."

I'd waited long enough for my cheesesteak fix, so we headed to the Italian Market (think Rocky running through the streets and being cheered on by the men keeping warm by the barrels of fire). I usually took visitors to Jim's Steaks on South Street, but decided we would go to the famous Pat's or Geno's. It's the big rivalry in Philly. I was sooooo disappointed. It was the worst cheesesteak I've ever had. Ever! Cold meat, unmelted provolone - UGH. I'd bragged and bragged to Kevin. Jim's it is from now on!

Back across the Ben Franklin Bridge to Camden for a stop at UrbanPromise to get a tour of the facility. Jacob showed us around (it's his afterschool program site now). It's really taken a beating and is in desparate need of repair. Kids will still get good loving and attention, but I hate to see it so run down. I always took pride in the fact that my staff went out of their way to keep the facilities as nice as they could given our budget and resources. Jacob said some money had been allocated toward it, but I hope they get to it soon!

A quick trip to Target to buy a new digital camera (which we will return once we get home...I asked...they said we could) and then off to spend the eveing at Bruce and Pam Main's house to catch up with dear friends. Bruce is the President of UP, had been my mentor since I was 18, and was the minister who married Kevin and I. They and their three kids were my family while I lived in Jersey.

Two of my other favorite people (and former staff members) - Michelle Joshua and Michelle Cassetty - also joined us. Michelle Joshua has two sweet girls - Alette and Abria. The youngest, Abria, is only 8 days older than Camden. She has about 5 or so pounds on Camden, though.

Camden was completely intrigued by her. Intrigued might not be the word. Camden basically mauled her. She kept grabbing her and pushing her and trying to get on her back. It was like a baby wrestling match. And they both loved it!

By the end of the night, Camden was exhausted and wanted nothing to do with anyone. But that didn't stop us from passing her around and capturing some classic Camden faces.

This pretty much sums up Bruce's attitude toward people...no matter how horrible someone is acting or behaving, he smiles and loves them anyway!

No comments: