Thursday, December 29, 2011

Grammy's Gift

Grammy and Aunt Linda joined us for Christmas dinner.  It always wonderful to have Grammy able to join the family and get a break from the nursing home.


Some of my favorite memories from my childhood Christmas' were dinner at Grammy and Aunt Mirna's followed by games with cousins and singing Christmas carols and hymns with the whole family.  Grammy always was a whiz on the piano.  She never read sheet music, but played by ear.  As her eye sight left her a decade or so ago, one of the things she (and all of us) missed most was her piano playing. 

I was in the kitchen helping prep food when I heard someone tinkering on the piano.  Carole's kids weren't out in the living room, so the only person it could be was Grammy.  She was only able to play with one hand (she always played chords with her left), but she plucked out her favorite Christmas tune.  I LOVED hearing her play - even if it was a very simple piece...Grammy played the piano!  It was my favorite Christmas gift.


No comments: