Monday, September 6, 2010

Rash

I discovered a rash developing on Camden's face last Thursday as I was driving her to school. I took her inside and told the aid to keep an eye on it and let me know if I needed to come get her. She didn't have a fever, but it was still a little concerning. After leaving and thinking about it, I called Aunt Carole, "What does Chicken Pox look like?" I was pretty sure it wasn't chicken pox, but I just didn't feel good about driving to Lafayette when I expected to get a call from the director when she got in telling me to come get my spotted child. By the time I did a u-turn and got back to school, the director was in, took a look, and recommended I get her in to the doctor before the holiday weekend kicked in.

Long story short, I stayed home and took Camden to the doctor later that morning. By that time, she had hundreds of tiny spots from head to toe. The doctor confirmed it wasn't any of the typical childhood diseases because the spots were too numerous, she didn't have a fever, and it wasn't itchy. She's not completely sure what it is/was, but called it a viral rash, possibly an unusual late development of the virus she had 2 weeks ago that needed to get out and decided to "explode" everywhere on her body. She wasn't contagious and could return to day care, but would probably remain spotted for several days.

As we played that afternoon I literally watched new bumps come on and others get redder before my eyes. Really weird, but she acted perfectly fine. By evening they were starting to fade and even disappear. All of these pictures were taken at day 2 and 3, so it's definitely lighter than the onset. Thankfully, it's all but gone now.


No comments: