Friday, October 26, 2012

Bridge Festival

Last weekend, Camden and I headed over to Rockville for the 56th Annual Covered Bridge Festival.  In recent years, Kevin and I had gone once or twice to Mansfield, but I remember going as a kid to the main celebration around the square in Rockville.  I remember it having more true artists and crafts and not as much of a flea market as some of the other towns. 
 
I must say, I do love the atmosphere in Rockville a little better.  Plus it had more authentic and family food booths (crullers!), rather than carnival trucks.  However, I actually think next time we go we will head to Mansfield or Bridgeton again since it has much more to offer/do/see.
 





Two of my favorite finds (most reminiscent of childhood experience) were the pumpkin butter being made over an open fire and sweet little chairs made out of branches (Camden thougth they were adorable).



But my all-time favorite memory of the day was Camden's immediate request when we reached the food area.  Corn on the cob!  For mom and Carole this should immediately remind you of our family story (that Grammy still regularly recounts and giggles about) when Dad took us all there when we were young.  My estimation is it was probably in the mid to late 70's.  Walking around the courthouse, we were deciding what to get to eat. A lady walked toward us eating an ear (just like Camden is below).  As she approached, Dad said the corn sure looked good.  She jokingly held it out to him and offered a bite but then was completely in shock when he leaned forward and took one!  We all laughed hysterically as she stood mouth agape as we walked away.

 
The day brought a wonderful memory to mind (and a few tears), remembering those fun years with my dad - and how much that ornery side of his personality is in his granddaughter.  I can even see him in her expression above.  Wish they could have met.
 

1 comment:

carole said...

Oh I had forgotten that! I have a vivid mental picture of walking around the courthouse with Grammy and Dad:)