Friday, May 6, 2016

Smee

The Spring Vanity Theater production is a Disney Spectacular with the three kids groups doing all the performing.  Camden's group has 2 numbers.  Everyone was to dress in a Classic Disney character costume.  We originally were going to do Captain Hook, but I was finding the hat and hair to be too expensive.  I talked her into Smee since I knew I could put together his outfit.

I googled Smee and found a cartoon image of the original version.



I headed to Goodwill with this image in mind. I found jeans about the right color of green in her size for $1, as well as a red stocking cap with a long "tail" also for $1.  I cut off the jeans and tacked a hem in them.  I found a blue shirt with small white stripes that would have been sufficient for...you guessed it, $1.  I went to the Dollar Store in hopes of cheap wire framed reading glasses and found some for $1.  They are the smallest they had  but still look huge on her kid face.  

I needed to get some sandals.  Since we are heading into summer, I didn't mind buying a new pair for her so went to Walmart.  The best pair I liked were not identical, but served the purpose.  I decided to swing through the boys section to see if I could find a better shirt.  While it's not exact either, I liked it better and forked over the $4 for it.  The final result:



Pretty cute!  Most importantly, she loves it.  Not counting the sandals, her costume costs $7.  And all of it can be worn again. 


When we walked into dress rehearsal on Thursday night, one of the mom's said, "Look, it's Smee!"  Yes!  We got it right!

This morning's Journal Review had a picture of the cast practicing one of the numbers.  Little Smee is doing her steps in the back row.  Can't wait for the show!


No comments: