Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Gingerbread Castle

The Crawfordsville Kiwanis' added a 5th grade gingerbread decorating contest to their 44th annual holiday bazaar.  Mr. Sayler sent out a request for someone to help on Wednesday before it was due on Saturday morning.  I (stupidly) volunteered.  I talked to the class and we settled on a haunted castle.  I found a castle template, baked the required pieces, made royal icing and brought them in to decorate on Friday afternoon.  I saw where a professional gingerbread artist decorates the pieces first and then assembles.  So we had all sorts of various candy and the kids went to town.  



It was a mess and the kids just kept adding!  When I went to assemble, I knew I was in for a difficult challenge. 


The attempt before school got out collapsed, so I took the pieces home and finished it there.  All the candy they had added were just not going to work and it was going to looks horrid.  Knowing we weren't going to win and struggling to have it work, I almost gave up.  Then I remembered it was a fundraising...and supposed to be done by 5th graders.  I scrapped a bunch of the candy and just put glitter on most walls.  I simplified the design and got something together.



I ran into some friends of ours that night and the event came up.  They said her two boys just loved the spooky castle one.  HA!  I'll take a fan favorite vote every time!

A few of the others that were so cute.



One of the other 5th grade classes at New Market won the pizza party prize by having the most money votes.  Guess a well done classic is always a winner!






No comments: