Friday, December 1, 2017

Two Meals - Eataly & Atlantic Fish Co.

Eataly is a series of restaurants and Italy market places owned by Mario Batali.  He has 14 of these establishments in Europe (and beyond) and 4 in the US. 


A walked around the marketplace was incredible.  Stations making fresh mozzarella, pasta, cannoli, jars of olives and olive oil from every region in Italy, chocolate, pesto, etc.  I could have shopped for hours.




Haddon, Beth, Paul and I ate upstairs at Terra.  It was an open grill/kitchen.  



We ordered the Gran Tagliere (chef's selection of things on a board) to share as an appetizer. 




Then we each ordered a pasta dish.  I got fazzoletti al sugo di funghi - housemade fazzoletti pasta with foraged mushrooms.


Haddon told us that the cannoli and espresso bar were located as you leave the market so that they can entice you to buy something.  He bought us a sampling of cannoli to share when we got back to our conference room.  Glad to get my cannoli fix while here on the east coast.



Our last day of the conference wrapped up on Monday morning.  After we got our stuff boxed up and shipped via Fed Ex, the whole staff goes out for a celebratory lunch.  Dena, our boss, picked a beautiful landmark institution for Boston's best seafood - sourced from the harbor every morning.  Truly spectacular.

We got two plates of shrimp cocktail to share...there were 8 of us, so we each got one, but they were huge and the best I've ever had!  And at $20 for each plate, they should be!


Several of us took advantage of the lobster.  They serve them whole in 1 1/4, 2, and 3 lb options.  Paul got the small one and had it served out of the shell.  I kinda wished I had done this too, but I loved my lobster fra diavolo (fresh picked lobster meat, linguine and spicy tomato sauce).


Dena and I got the peppermint ice cream pie to share for dessert.  This would not normally have been my pick, but was delicious and perfect ending to our meal.


Of note, is that the Atlantic Fish Company is located right behind the site of the 2nd bomb from the Boston Marathon bombing.  The city is in the process of creating a memorial at this location - the black top bump out of the sidewalk behind the orange barrels.  Just past the stop light is the finish line where the 1st bomb would have happened.


As I said, we are all spoiled by the generosity and hospitality of the Wabash Center.  I never paid a dime for anything besides the cannoli from Mike's and souvenirs.  It was a fantastic experience and I loved being in Boston, but am also glad to get home!


No comments: