Friday, February 2, 2018

So This Is Happening


Around Christmas I noticed she was squinting to see things in the distance...sometimes the TV, out at restaurants playing "I Spy," or at things across the room.  Then when school was back in session, she started having frequent headaches.  Not at migraine level, but enough to go to the school nurse and even take Tylenol!  I suspected it was time to get her baby blues checked.





The doctor was not surprised she was having headaches.  Her sight is significantly different in each eye causing quite a bit of strain and fight to focus.  Her right eye is only at 20/40 so with squinting she can probably do okay, but her left is 20/100 so she can't see much at all.  Her poor eye muscles have been working overtime.  He said it was also not surprising that in the school screening last year there were no concerns and now there were.  It can happen quickly.

She was excited to pick out frames.  She immediately saw the gold sparkly ones, but they were adult frames and so we started looking at kids ones.


We had settled on these blue ones, but when I showed the woman who does the fitting, she said they were a little small for her because they were already "bowing" a bit to fit her face.


I asked her to assist (and by then all 3 ladies from the office were helping).  Camden picked up the gold frames that she originally saw and the 3 of them went bonkers.  Those were their favorite pair of glasses in the office!  She put them on and they all but squealed with delight.  I thought they were okay, but didn't like them very much on her.  However Camden loved them, the ladies loved them, I showed my coworkers this morning and they loved them, so...

They are growing on me.  When I pulled the picture up on my computer (rather than my phone), she is stickin' adorable in them.  We will have them in 7-10 days.  The doctor did warn that her headaches could get worse in the first week as her eyes adjust, but after that we should see good results.  In the meantime, her teacher is moving her desk closer to the board which should help with the headaches.


1 comment:

carole said...

Same with two of her cousins! One eye is very different from the other. We did notice with Joseph that the stronger eye became weaker when corrected with glasses and it wasn't working so hard:) Adorable!