Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My First Day of Kindergarten

I went to school with Camden on Friday.  She told me I would love my first day of Kindergarten. 
 
When we arrived, we went to the gym and played games/did activities with the others from her class.   Two older boys (sixth graders) were assigned to our group to help.  We did this until we were dismissed to go eat breakfast.
 

We had yummy homemade cinnamon rolls, strawberries, milk and OJ.

Next we went to our classroom where Mrs. Barr collected our folders from home, we took a seat at our desks before being called over to our circles for the morning lessons.


Mrs. Barr read us a story and we practiced a few site words/reading.  We reviewed our morning seat project then went back to our desks to color, cut, and glue.
 

When we finished our project we picked a book and quietly read while the others finished up.  Then we headed back to our circles for more lessons.  The "hit" of the morning was music time to get our wiggles out. Camden was the music helper this week.  Mrs. Barr says Camden simply LOVES music.


Then it was time for morning recess!



Mrs. Barr and I had a nice talk while watching the kids.  She said Camden is the most advanced student (Thanks Ms. Lana!) and really ready to read.  Unfortunately, she isn't really able to begin Camden because, even with only 12 kids, there is too large a difference in abilities among the kids (one had no preschool).  She asked me to let her know if Camden indicates she is getting too bored, because it really is mainly review for her right now.  I assured her that Camden is enjoying her class and her!  Mrs. Barr also noted what a happy child Camden is and a pleasure to have in her class.  Great report!


We played a few rounds of Bingo and had another lesson before lunch.



The school is really well run and, because of it's size, all the adults already know all the kids.  The women in the lunch room are fantastic and really love and serve the kids well. 


I only stayed for the morning and left after lunch.  I really enjoyed getting to meet the kids in her class so I now have names a little better when we talk.    I'm so pleased to know she is cared for in such a great atmosphere.

No comments: