Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Camden NJ Reunion

UrbanPromise, the organization I worked for in Camden, NJ, is having a 25th Anniversary Alumni Reunion this August.  I am helping to organize the event and took a quick "business" trip there this past week to take care of some prep work.

While I didn't get as much visiting done as normal, I did do a few "mini-reunions" in the three short days.

Mary "Rosebud" Weer was a long-time volunteer with the organization in the late 80's and 90's.  Despite her challenges, she was a faithful worker and everyone's "sister."  She disappeared from everyone's radar in the the early 2000's and no one knew how to find her.  A former StreetLeader who is now a nurses aid, ran into her at a nursing home in Camden. 

Greg Collins, a child in the program when I was there, who is now a 3rd grade teacher in Camden joined me in our visit.  Rosebud is responsible for bringing Greg and his brother to the program for the first time when he was 7 or 8.  He, in essence, is part of her legacy.

I also got a brief visit with LeeLee.  She was 11 years old when I moved to Camden after college in 1990.  She was one of the first kids in my first afterschool program.  She was quite the handful!  She also came home to Indiana with me one Thanksgiving (1991, I think) and always is quick to ask about my grandma (Grammy) and my mom.  She is now a mom to 3 young kids.  Still full of mischief and laughter.

Jodina is one of the early pioneers of UrbanPromise and we have worked side-by-side for much of our 20's and early 30's.  She left UP the summer before I did to get her law degree.  She's worked a number of prestigious jobs since, but returned 2 years ago as the Executive Director of UP.  She has brought such passion and history to the organization.  She also just adopted a 2-year old, Carter.  I enjoyed a nice evening and dinner at Chick-fil-a getting to know this charmer.

He and Camden will be quite the pair when they meet at the Reunion!

1 comment:

carole said...

So neat to see these pictures and to hear of the "success" stories:)